Camano Island Historic Sites Tour

April 6th – 8th, 2018 — Save the Date!

Historic Sites

Many of the historic sites in Stanwood and Camano Island are open year round. Check with the individual sites for details.

Click here for a downloadable map & brochure.

Tour Welcome Center

Floyd Norgaard Cultural Center

Home of the Stanwood Area Historical Society library, museum and event space. Stop here first to pick up maps and information for the Camano Island Historic Sites Tour.

Address: 27130 102nd NW, Stanwood, WA
Phone: 360-629-6110
Web: www.sahs-fncc.org

Historic Site #1

Camano Lutheran Church

Construction of this iconic Camano Island church building began in 1904 and the dedication was July 9, 1906. The building is listed on the Washington Heritage Register.  The church was established in 1890 in Utsalady and then in 1895 held services at the Livingston Bay school, which was located across the road from the current site. The church currently serves the community and welcomes all.

Address: 850 Heichel Rd Camano Is., WA 98282
Phone: 629-4592
Web: CamanoLutheranChurch.org

Historic Site #2

Camano Pioneer Cemetery

Camano Island’s early settlers and some Native Americans are buried here.

Address: 557 East North Camano Drive, Camano Island

Historic Site #3

Kristoferson Farm 1912

The barn was built in 1914 from Douglas Fir milled on site. Kristoferson Barn has been the hub of farm operations for the Kristoferson family for over 100 years. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.

Address: 332 North East Camano Drive, Camano Island
www.CanopyToursNW.com

Historic Site #4

South Camano Grange 1930

South Camano Grange #930 was organized Jan. 18, 1930 by O.C. Wisner. It is a family-friendly organization that promotes family values. Service to the community is the backbone of the Grange.

Address: 2227 South Camano Drive, Camano Island

Historic Site #5

Mabana Schoolhouse 1916

Built in 1916 by loggerman, Peg Leg Anderson. It embodied the community's spirit for a better life. Used as a school, meeting place and church. Pearl Wanamaker, the first teacher, was active in Washington state politics.

The schoolhouse is now an artist studio for Linda Demetre.

Address: 3648 South Camano Drive, Camano Island
Web: LindaDemetre.com

Historic Site #6

Camano Island State Park 1949

A community initiated and supported park. In 1949, ninety-two acres of land were acquired for a park. The initial development was accomplished in one day by nearly 500 public spirited volunteers from Stanwood and Camano Island.

Address: 2269 Lowell Point Road, Camano Island
www.parks.state.wa.us/484/Camano Island

Historic Site #7

Cama Beach Historical State Park 1934

Cama Beach a 1930s-era fishing resort complete with waterfront cedar cabins and bungalows. Muriel and Lee Risk operated Cama Beach Resort for 55 years. In 1990 the Risk daughters acted to turn the property into a state park. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Address: 1880 South West Camano Drive, Camano Island
www.parks.state.wa.us/483/Cama-Beach

Esary Logging Camp at Cama Beach 1902

Esary logging at Utsalady had five log trucks, the first on the Island. This was a family operation and Camp #2 was at Cama. They had two sets of horse teams, each with six to eight horses. Camp #2 operated 1902 to 1908, later becoming Cama Beach Resort.

Address: 1880 South West Camano Drive, Camano Island
www.parks.state.wa.us/483/Cama-Beach

Historic Site #8

Camano Island Inn (formerly Hotel Camano) 1923

Established in 1923, The Camano Island Inn served log millers, their families and other boarders. Guests from around the world have enjoyed the Inn and its precious view of Saratoga Passage. The building has changed with the times. The great view remains the same. Today it is a farm to table resturant, a beautiful inn & spa.

Address: 1054 South West Camano Drive, Camano Island
www.camanoislandinn.com

Historic Site #9

Camano City Schoolhouse 1906

Built in 1906 this one room schoolhouse served students of the rapidly growing mill town of Camano City. It was used as a school until 1936. Then it served as a community hall,home to the Fire Department and Sparklers Auxiliary. Sold in 2012 to the Camano Schoolhouse Foundation. Listed on the WA Heritage Register 2014.

Address: 993 Orchid Road, Camano Island
www.camanoschoolhouse.com

Historic Site #10

Utsalady Historic Vista Point

Sign describes the community of Utsalady. Ship spars were first cut here in 1853. A lumber mill was built in 1856, begining production in 1857. The town boomed with Camano’s first school. Lumber was exported in 1860. By 1893 sailing ships carried daily production of 74,000 bd/ft to world markets.

Address: 398 Shore Drive, Camano Island
www.islandcountywa.gov (parks & trails)

Historic Site #11

Utsalady Ladies Aid 1908

Utsalady Ladies Aid was founded in 1908. It is the second oldest organization in Island County. The building was constructed in 1923 for $566.73. It is a symbol of community spirit and unity for those
living on Camano Island. Listed on the WA Heritage & National Registers of Historic Places since 1998.

Address: 78 Utsalady Road, Camano Island
www.facebook.com/Utsalady-Ladies_Aid

Historic Site #12

English Boom

The English Logging Co. logged forests east of Stanwood and Mount Vernon in the 1920’s & 30’s. Here they gathered logs into booms for towing to Puget Sound mills. Pilings are all that remain from the operation which closed in 1945.

Address: North end of Moore Road, Camano Island